Thursday, February 28, 2008

More Super Yummy Chicken

I tried these two chicken recipes this week and we loved them. So if you want some more yummy new chicken ideas I recommend these recipes.

Orange Chicken


Stewart loves Panda's orange chicken, and honestly who doesn't like Panda's yummy orange chicken?!?!?! Our problem is we really have zero budget for eating out so I thought I'd try to recreate it at home. I looked for a good recipe and I found a lot but they were all so much work I just really wasn't sure it'd be worth the work. But then I happened upon this recipe and it looked simple enough so we tried it and we really liked it. Its not exactly like Panda's but its close enough for us. I think it will be a family favorite that I will make to win my husband's heart time and time again. :o)

Sauce Ingredients
1 TB vegetable oil
2 TB minced garlic
4 sliced green onion
1 cup tomato sauce
1 cup chicken Broth
1/2 cup sugar
1 TB chili garlic sauce ( I used Sriracha HOT chili sauce) I am not sure this is what it really calls
for but next time I will use less because it was a bit spicy for me)
3 TB Soy Sauce
2 TB corn starch

Other Ingredients
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3 chicken breasts - I used 1 pound chicken cut into smaller pieces
1 egg
1 cup milk
1 cup flour
dash of salt
peel from 1/2 orange chopped into small pieces

1.) Prepare the sauce in a medium sized sauce pan. Heat oil add minced garlic and sliced green onion. Add tomato sauce and chicken broth quickly before the garlic burns. Add sugar, chili garlic sauce, and soy sauce. Bring to a boil. then reduce heat and let it simmer for 5-6 minutes or until sauce thickens. Set aside until the chicken is done.

2.) Slice chicken into bite size pieces. combine egg and milk in a med. bowl. Pour the flour into another bowl. Coat chicken in flour a few times then into the egg mixture and then back into the flour. I did it half at a time.

3.)Heat oil in a wok - or big frying pan like me. When the oil is heated, cook the chicken until it is golden brown.

4.) When frying is almost done a runny corn starch mixture to sauce and briny to a boil stirring constantly until it reaches your desired thickness. Taste sauce and add salt as needed. set aside again. Strain off the excess oil from chicken when completed and then add orange peel and heat for 20- 30 seconds. Add the sauce and gently stir until warmed through.
Serve with rice.

*We found that after it had cooled a bit its flavor was better. Either way we really liked it!

Chicken Scala

I had no idea how this would turn out. I haven't had anything like it before that I know of but it was surprisingly good. I eat like three helpings plus the kids left overs!

4 chicken breasts, I used 1 or more pounds of chicken tenders just because that is what I had, I
think I will keep doing it that way though I like smaller pieces of chicken they seem to have
more flavor and are more tender when they are smaller not to mention it takes a lot less time
to cook it.
1/4 c butter
1/2 c sour cream I used reduced fat sour cream - Daisy brand id my favorite
1/4 tsp pepper
2 TB flour - used way more then that, I ended up really coating the chicken I am not sure if I guess I did it wrong but we liked it that way, next time I guess I'll do what th recipes says to see if it makes a difference
1 can Campbell's beef Consommé, undiluted
1 TB Parmesan (optional)

Sprinkle chicken with flour ( I coated my chicken ) . Heat butter in skillet. Saute chicken for 15 minutes (I did a lot less then that, maybe 8 minutes) until browned and mostly cooked. Add consommé, simmer covered for 45 minutes ( I did more like 5-10 minutes). Stir in sour cream and pepper. Simmer for 10 minutes more ( I did more like 5). Put in a serving dish and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and run under broiler until the cheese is golden. Serve with rice.

That last part with the broiler I so didn't do. I just sprinkled it with the cheese. I had a lot of broth/sauciness left over, maybe because I didn't cook for all the time it asks for :o) But it worked out great to have on our egg noddles, my kids like noodles better then rice but I think booth would be great.

No comments: