Friday, August 8, 2008

Crusty Mexican Chicken

This looked fun and new for me and really yummy. Stew and I really enjoyed it. It isn't the easiest chicken dish I have ever made but I was excited to try it out so it wasn't a pain for me to make it. Plus seeing Stewart love it made it worth all the work.

I made a few changes to the original recipe. I will put an * by the things that our my additions. Please feel free to change the recipe to your taste as well!!! :)

4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
1 TB lime juice
1 TB honey
1 tsp salt *
2/3 cup finely crushed tortilla chips
1 can (14 oz.) stewed tomatoes with onions and mild chilies
1/4 cup cilantro leaves
1 large garlic peeled
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1 TB lime juice*
dash of salt*
1 cup shredded jack or cheddar cheese

1.) pat chicken dry. In a shallow bowl stir together the lime, honey, and 1 tsp salt. place tortilla chips in a bag. Turn each chicken piece in honey mixture to coat; then drop into chips and shale to coat. Arrange chicken in a single layer in a 9 x 13 pan. Bake at 475 degrees until done about 15 minutes.

2.) meanwhile, in a blender combine whole can of tomatoes and their juice, cilantro, garlic, oregano, lime, and salt. Blend until smooth. Pour into a sauce pan and heat over high heat. Boil until reduced to about 1 1/4 cups. Reduce heat and keep warm.

3.) Sprinkle chicken with cheese and continue to bake until cheese is melted.

4.) to serve spoon warm salsa on plate and then place the chicken on top.

No comments: