Friday, May 29, 2009

Choclate Chip Cookies recipe number 3 & 4.


Ok this is my deal. I am looking for the best recipe I can find for chocolate chip cookies. I am searching food blogs like crazy and like myself everyone seems to love the Cook's Illustrated version the best but my problem is that they are not like the ones I had growing up and thus lacking something for me. Every time I make them I get rave reviews and they are really good but I just want a different texture or something. So I am on a quest for my back-up recipe for when I want a cookie like I loved as a kid. These looked more like my childhood version so I am adding them to be tested someday. Someday I am having a bake off for chocolate chip cookies. And all my friends are going to have to come over and rate them. This will be one of them. :O)

Ingredients

1/2 c. butter, softened
1/2 c. white sugar
1/2 c. packed light brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. hot water
1/4 tsp. salt
1 c. chocolate chips
2/3 c. walnuts (optional)

Directions
In a large bowl, cream together butter, white sugar, and brown sugar until smooth. Beat in egg, then stir in vanilla extract. Dissolve baking soda in hot water. Add to batter along with salt. Stir in flour, and cream of tartar until incorporated. Fold in chocolate chips and nuts. Refrigerate for at least one hour.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease two baking sheets. Remove dough from refrigerator and drop large spoonfuls onto baking sheets. Bake for about 8 to 10 minutes, or until edges are lightly browned. Remove from oven and cool completely on wire racks. Makes about 2 1/2 dozen cookies (probably closer to three in reality, sans dough sampling)

* from Pookie Pantry

Thick and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies

This one has been on several food blogs so it must be good. We'll have to give it a try

2 cups + 2 Tb all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

1-1/2 sticks butter (3/4 cup)
1 cup brown sugar

, packed
1/2 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 egg yolk
2 tsp vanilla extract
1-1/2 cups chocolate chips
1 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Mix flour, baking soda and salt together, set aside. Mix butter and sugars in mixer until well combined. Beat in egg, egg yolk and vanilla. Add dry ingredients and beat at low speed until just combined. Stir in chocolate chips and walnuts. Using a cookie scoop, place cookies two inches apart on greased or parchment-lined cookie sheets.

Bake 10-12 minutes or until cookies are golden brown.

*from blisstree


No comments: