Monday, January 28, 2008

Taking Something Lardy and Making it Lite!

Here are some ideas for healthy versions of our favorite indulgent yummy treats.

Frosting: Instead of spreading yummy yet very very fattening frosting on our cakes you can top your cake with pudding. It's healthiness varies with what type you use but either would be a health improvement from frosting. To achieve absolute healthiness you can make no sugar added instant pudding mix with non fat milk and make your cake with apple sauce instead of oil. That way you have a great tasting healthier frosted cake. I love making a chocolate cake and then topping it with chocolate pudding because it is so moist, not that fattening, and yet it still gives me my chocolate fix.

*The pudding will be more like frosting if you make it with less milk then it calls for.

Alfredo Sauce: I have two recipes. neither of them are as good for you as a basic marinara but when you are hankering for a cheesy cream sauce on your pasta these are great ways to get that and not raise your cholesterol 10 points. *I also recommend using whole wheat pasta to achieve the most you can out a creamy pasta dish.

Weight Watchers Version

1 Stick of reduced fat cream cheese - I think the non fat is too low in fat to taste good, but that could just be me
1 cup Chicken broth
1/2 cup grated Parmesan

In a sauce pan melt cream cheese and then add your chicken broth stir until smooth. Add cheese and let simmer until the thickness you want pour on pasta and there you have it!


My Made Up Version
(for when I don't have cream cheese)

2 TB Flour
1 TB Butter
1 - 1 1/2 cup Chicken broth
1/2 - 1 cup grated Parmesan/Ramona cheese

Make a basic rue by melting your butter in a sauce pan. Then sprinkle in your flour and stir till smooth and caramelized. Then slowly add chicken broth while stirring and keep as smooth as possible. Then add your grated cheese and mix well. You can play with the amounts of things because I am not really sure what I actually use when I make it. I just eyeball it. When I want it to be a whole dinner I stir in some veggies steamed in and flavored with chicken bullion and some grilled chicken. Pour on pasta and you have a healthy-ish yummy dinner.


No comments: