Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Apple Cobbler

This is my first time making apple cobbler since I can remember. I am sure I have helped my mom a million times but for all intensive purposes this felt like my first cobbler. I used the apples we picked from the apple farm and my mom gave me her cobbler recipe and then I made a few adjustments to what I thought would fit my taste and it was magic. I LOVED it! This is going to be my go-to recipe for apple cobbler for forever! I seriously thought I had created the best thing ever. Yum!

Apple Base
5 - 6 large tart apples
dash of salt
cinnamon
1/2 sugar

Cobbler Topping
1 1/4 cups flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
2/3 cups white sugar
1 cube butter
dash of salt
1 tsp vanilla

Butterscotch Sauce

1 cup packed light brown sugar

8 tablespoons butter (1 stick)

½ cup heavy cream

2 teaspoon light corn syrup

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1.) Peel and slice five large tart apples or enough to fill a 9 x 13 pan. Don't slice them too thin. I sliced them about 1/4 inch or bigger. Spray 9 x 13 with non-stick spray. Toss apple with cinnamon, salt, and sugar. Set aside.

2.) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium mixing bowl add very soft butter, sugars, vanilla and salt and mix until creamy. Then add the flour and mix until incorporated and crumbly. Sprinkle the crumb topping over the apples. Bake until apple juices are visible on the sides and the crumb topping is golden brown.

3.) While the cobbler bakes make the butterscotch. Cook the brown sugar and butter in a medium sauce pan over med-high heat stirring often. Cook until the mixture bubbles and becomes lighter in color about 3 - 5 minutes. Off the heat slowly add the cream while whisking the mixture. Mix until smooth. Stir int eh corn syrup and vanilla. you can use it warm or cool to room temperature. It stores up to two weeks in the refrigerator. Set aside until it is time to serve cobbler.

Serving
I let my cobbler sit in the warm stove until ready to serve. I serve with a large scoop of vanilla ice cream and drizzle with the home made butterscotch sauce. It is SO GOOD!

No comments: