Thursday, October 8, 2009

Best Snickerdoodle Cookies I've Ever Made

When I am craving cookies but don't have any chocolate in the house I turn to Snickerdoodles. Now every time I make these chocolate-less cookies I am sadly disappointed. They just don't do much for me. But Then I made a change this time and it made all the difference in the world. Chewier, richer, and a just plane old better taste.

1 cup sugar, divided
1 TB cinnamon
2 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
8 TB unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
2 Large Eggs

1.) preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine 1/4 cup sugar and cinnamon in a shallow bowl for coating and set aside. Whisk flour, the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt together in a large bowl and set aside.

2.) Beat the butter, shortening, and remaining sugar, and brown sugar together until light and fluffy, 3 to 6 minutes. Beat in the eggs, one at a time until just mixed.

3.) Slowly mix in the flour mixture until combined about 30 seconds. Give the dough a final stir to make sure there isn't any flour on the bottom.

4.) Form balls out of 2 TB of dough at a time with wet hands. roll sin sugar and cinnamon until coated then place on cookie sheet to bake. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or just until begins to turn golden brown. Remove sheet from the oven and let cool on the cookie sheet for 10 minutes and then remove from cookie sheet .

I like them the very best when they are still warm!

No comments: