Wednesday, March 24, 2010

ATK's Tandoori Chicken

American Test Kitchen has done it again! They have blessed me with one of the best recipes I have ever come across - Tandoori Chicken. I have always wanted to make it but just never got around to it, but finally I did. Like most always I turned to ATK to get a trusted recipe. It is LOVE poeple. My tate buds were in HEAVEN!!! I fell in love with Tandoori chicken even though this recipe is not the most authentic - it is not made in a tandoor which is a small kiln for baking things at super high temps. Many people's version are very spicy and add food coloring to give its trade mark orange color. But when food coloring is not necessary I skip out on it and this recipe feels the same. This dish is homey and yet exotic. The tenderness of the chicken is amazing as is the flavor thanks to the great cooking method- low temp bake followed by super hot broil. When I served this I knew it was something great. I kept wishing I had my foodie family around to marvel with me. But I was excited that Bridger kept saying, "Mommy this is the best chicken ever ever! This is my favorite!" That is pretty awesome too. So I might have hyped it too much so you'll make it and then be like, "whatever its not that good!" ...So here is the deal. Call me up and say "hey, make me some tandoori." and I will say "come right now and we'll do it!" and then I will serve you the yummiest Indian food you have ever tasted and kiss me on the cheek because you just cant help yourself. Ok? I mean it. This is something I would make for anyone just to share the love of it all and lets be honest so, then I'd get to eat it again too.

One ting I must tell you now. I did the recipe wrong. I left the skin on. I missed the whole remove the skin part when it listed the ingredients. Luckily I was intuitive enough to adapt a little here and there as I went - I added more salt, and I cooked it longer on both cooking settings. My chicken was fabulous despite my inability to read the recipe perfectly. So know you have two recipes to try! You can do it my way or follow their directions. I will make notes throughout so you can adapt it too if you want.

2 TB veg oil
6 med garlic gloves, minced or pressed
2 TB grated fresh ginger
1 TB garam masala (see note)
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp chili powder
1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt (I used Greek)
4 TB lime juice- divided
2 tsp table salt (I used more because I love my salt - probably 1/2 tsp more)
3 pounds bone-in-skin-on chicken parts breast, thigh or drumsticks. Remove the skin and excess fat. (I did thighs and drumsticks with skin).

1.) Heat oil in small skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add garlic and ginger and cook just until fragrant bout 1 minute. Add garam masala, cumin, and chili powder, continue to cook until fragrant, 30 to 60 seconds longer. Transfer half of garlic spice mixture to medium bowl and stir in the yogurt and 2 TB lime juice ans set aside. ( I added 1/4 tsp salt to the yogurt)

2.) In a large bowl combine remaining garlic spice mixture, 2 TB lime juice, and salt. using a sharp knife, lightly score skinned side of each piece of chicken, making 2 or 3 shallow cuts about 1 in. apart and about 1/8 inch deep; transfer chicken to large bowl with spices and rub the slat spice mixture evenly on all pieces of chicken. Let sit at room temp for 30 minutes. (ok, I lifted the skin off the meat rubbed the spices under the skin and then put skin back over chicken and rubbed the outside of the chicken with the spice mixture, and I added more salt to my mixture as well. Then I let my chicken sit for four hours in the refrigerator. )

3.) Adjust oven rack to upper middle position and heat oven to 325 degrees. Pour yogurt mixture over chicken and toss until chicken pieces are coated with thick layer. Arrange chicken pieces, scored side down on wire rack set in foil lined cookie sheet. Discard excess yogurt mixture. Bake chicken until instant -read thermometer inserted into thickest part reads 125 degrees for breast and 130 for legs and thighs, 15 to 25 minutes (mine took longer). Smaller pieces take longer so transfer then to a plate while the other pieces bake to their needed temperature.

4.) After removing the chicken from the oven turn oven to broil and heat 10 minutes. Once broiler is heated flip chicken pieces over and broil until chicken is lightly charred in spots and the instant-read thermometer registers 165 for breasts and 175 for legs and thighs, 8 to 15 minutes ( mine took longer). Remove from oven and light cover chicken with foil and let it rest for five minuets . serve with Basmati Rice - pilaf style or any Indian relish. Be simple like me and serve it with perfectly cooked Basmati rice toss with slated butter. yum!

note: If you cant find garam masala substitute with 2 tsp ground coriander, 1/4 tsp ground cardamom, 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon, and 1/2 tsp ground black pepper. ( I didn't have cardamom - thought I did, darn it. I added two small dashes of cayenne pepper though)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this recipe! I'm Indian, and this is the best at home recipe. Also, traditional recipes call for red food coloring and MSG. I love that this recipe is all natural and very simple.

Unknown said...

Thank you for posting this recipe. I had it several years ago then lost it. I really liked it and I made it today and it was great. Thanks so much. I liked all your notes. I used a whole cut up chicken and cut the breast in half so the pieces were more the same size and everything got done at the same time. Nanacooks

Tempo traveller in Delhi NCR said...

Good Blog with good Pictures, i really like it. Promote your business
Post free ads in Noida
Classified ads in Noida
Online ads posting Noida
Post ads Noida
Business ads posting Noida
Submit business Noida
Local classified ads Noida
Noida ads posting
Noida classified ads posting
Create free website noida
Visit our website Justbusinesslisting.com

Nandini Sen said...

This recipe is a winner! The technique of hand rubbing the concentrate for an hour before pouring the yogurt marinade made for incredibly soft and delicious tandoori. Never have to go back to the store for tandoori chicken. Thank you!!

A quick condiment suggestion to go with this recipe: pickled onions: Slide a red onion and soak in hot (boiled) water, lightly salted water for 30 minutes. Drain, and add enough lemon juice to cover the onion, salt to taste, chili poweder (optional) and some sugar (optional). And cool before serving.

Thank you for sharing!!