Monday, March 1, 2010

Coconut Cream Cake

Can you tell I am on a healthy kick lately? So healthy over at the Rasmussen's house! ;) I made this one up. I liked it, it was fun. I am not sure I will make it again, not because it wasn't good. Its just that I only can have coconut in moderation and to be honest I really l like trying new things and would probably go for a different recipe over this one just for the adventure of trying something new. If I do it again I think I would have fun with it and change things around to see if I like it better the other way. I would serve it with sliced mangoes and do whipped cream instead of the frosting....I originally wanted whipped cream but I had none in the house and it was a Sunday so you know, improvise! My inspiration was Tres Lech Cake and Thai coconut sticky rice (Mexican and Thai foods are my favorite foods - why not mix the two?). So here you have it Emily's Coconut Cream Cake.

As a note my kids threw in a handful of chocolate chips into my coconut syrup and thus the ugly color. We couldn't taste it and at all all it did was make for some ugly coloring! So if you made this cake just know it would be much prettier then mine, I promise! The kids like to help out and like their mother have an inventive spirit when it comes to food! :)

Ingredients

Cake:
1 white cake mix ( I used Pillsbury)
1 small box non-instant vanilla pudding mix - divided
3 eggs
1/3 cup oil
1 cup water

Syrup:
1 can coconut milk
1/2 cup scant sugar
1/4 tsp salt

Frosting:
5 TB vanilla pudding
6 TB soften butter
5-6 TB coconut CREAM
2 cups confectioners sugar

Directions

1.) In a small mixing bowl measure out 5 TB of the vanilla pudding and set aside for frosting. Then in a large mixing bowl mix the remaining pudding mix withe the cake mix, eggs, oil, and water. Pour into a greased 9 x 13 pan and bake at 350 degrees for time listed on box.

2.) While the cake is baking start to make the syrup. In a med sauce pan over medium heat stir coconut milk, sugar, and salt together. Stirring very often cook syrup until it is thick. Then set aside until cake is done.

3.) Remove cake form oven and using a fork punch holes all over the top surface of the cake- all over and close together. Then pour your syrup all over the cake as evenly as possible. Spread around as needed. Cover tightly and let sit on counter until it has mostly cooled. At this point I took off cover making sure not to let he condensation drip back onto the cake. I recovered it with fresh plastic wrap and then put it in the fridge to sit over night. At this point place your unopened can of coconut milk in the fridge to cool.

4) When time is approaching for you to serve your cake prepare the frosting. Cream butter. Add the vanilla pudding ad cream together. Then open your can of cold coconut milk. Skim off the cream on the top getting about 5 or 6 TB. and add it to your butter and vanilla pudding. Cream together until it is smooth. Then gradually add your confectioners sugar and whip until silky smooth. Spread over your cold cake and recover and place in the fridge until you are ready to serve. Serve cold. Sprinkle with coconut flakes to garnish. yum!

Tate and Variation Notes: The cake sort of steams which gives it a really fun texture. The coconut cream syrup isn't overly sweet. The frosting is rich though. If this was served with a tart fruit it would be dreamy. You could do pineapple for a pina colada taste or do mangoes to give it more of the Thai sticky rice flare. If you love coconut and want to do the whipped cream add some of the coconut cream to the whipping cream and that would be lovely.

No comments: