Friday, February 26, 2010

Corn Bread Heaven!

I just made the second best corn bread I ever remember having in my life. The best being Morris Center cafeteria corn bread. Holy cow that was good! I remember one afternoon I went down to the cafeteria. I was newly engaged and the birth control I had started had wreaked havoc on my body and I had gained 10 pounds and counting. I was bugged. It was Fall and Fall in Utah often is more like winter and so I couldn't run as much as I wanted. I did not want to get married at my heaviest weight ever. I was on a "diet" no fatty foods and low carbs. But as I looked at their corn bread sitting there in this giant pan I had to take a small serving. It just looked so moist. OH, MY!!! It was the best thing made of corn that I had ever put in my mouth. I ended up eating four HUGE servings. And I still wanted more but alas I had a class to get to. I never felt bad about eating that corn bread. It was that good. :O) Since I have tried here and there to make some good corn bread. I have come up short every time. It has been dry, and without much flavor. BUT yesterday as I stared at he mix I was about to make to go along with our chili I knew I needed to jazz it up some how. I did and I loved it. It was not as good as the BYU cafeteria's version but it was really yummy. I do not want to forget what I did this time around!


1 package Marie Callender's Original Corn bread
1 stick melted butter
1/4 to 1/2 cup honey (if you like honey a lot add more, if not then act accordingly)
1 1/2 cups warm water
1 regular sized can of corn - husband said it would be better without but if he wants it without the corn then he can bake some himself because I love those corn pieces! ;)

In a med mixing bowl add melted butter, honey, and corn pieces and mix until combined. Add 1 and 1/2 cups warm water and then stir in the corn bread mix. Pour in well greased 8 x8 pan and bake at 375 until just barely done, even a little undone (34 minutes) and let sit on your counter for 10/15 mintues to let it finish cooking a bit. Then serve. And you will experience corn bread heaven. You can serve with honey butter but I don't think it needs it.

No comments: