Saturday, February 20, 2010

Nanaimo Bars


Canada and I hardly know each other but I do have fond feelings for her. My sister who I absolutely adore and wanted to be when I was a child served her mission there and she loved Canada, thus I loved Canada a little bit in her behalf. I like her cold country because she is our neighbor and the people there say "Eh?". I like her because the people there eat things like dill pickle and ketchup flavored potato chips, and of course those yummy Nanaimo bars. When I learned that Prince Edward Island wasn't in England but was in fact a part of our neighbor, little old Canada, I liked her even more.

Now with Canada hosting the Winter Olympics I thought I should teach my little family what I know about her and what I like about her. And honestly what better way then making them Nanaimo bars! I wished I had the real Birds Custard Mix but alas I had to improvise with the recommendations of my mother's Canadian friend. I showed the kids a map, gave them a cookie, and then we watched the Olympics via NBC.com. It was fun. Now I think they like Canada too.

If you want to celebrate Canadian Olympics with Nanaimo bars here is the recipe. Enjoy!

The ingredients:

Bottom Layer

1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup sugar
5 TB cocoa
1 egg beaten
1 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/2 cup finely chopped almonds
1 cup coconut

First crumble your graham crackers, chop (and I lightly roasted) almonds, and set them aside. Then beat your egg in a small bowl. Set that aside as well. Melt butter, sugar, and cocoa in a double broiler. When it is hot take a large spoon full of the hot cocoa mixture and quickly whisk it into your egg. Then repeat at least one other time. Then slowly pour your egg mixture into your sauce pan and quickly whisk it all together. Then watch the magic of the egg make you sauce into a thick syrup. At this point mix in your coconut and graham cracker crumbs. Press firmly into a 8x8 or a 9x9 pan and place in the refrigerator to harden.

Cream Layer

1/2 cup butter
4 TB cream
4 TB vanilla pudding powder (non instant)
2 tsp vanilla
2 cups powder sugar

Cream butter, vanilla, and pudding in large bowl. Alternate adding powder sugar and cream and beat until light. Spread over the bottom layer. and place in the refrigerator.

Chocolate Layer

4 oz. semi-sweet chocolate ( use a nice brand...I used three bars of Dove dark chocolate and it was so good!)
3 TB butter


Place butter and chocolate in a microwave safe bowl and heat in microwave at 30 second intervals mixing in between until it s is melted and smooth to pour over the cream layer. Pour over cream layer and shake pan and tap on counter to help the chocolate spread out nice and smooth. then cover and let harden in the Fridge until ready to eat.

When cutting boil water on the stove and put knife in the hot water before each cut to prevent the chocolate from cracking while you cut.


No comments: