Monday, March 22, 2010

"You are a talented bread maker."

So there is a story to this one. Yesterday I made a meal of love for the hubby. Slow cooked BBQ pork and made homemade rolls - Lion House Rolls. I followed it all up with cupcakes and frosting. The day sort of died though. He got a call he had to take right as we sat down for dinner and then a family he helps out called and needed his help so he entirely missed desert. I was sad. I made this meal for him and he was not there to indulge in it as well as tell me how wonderful I am and how yummy it all is. Finally when I had a moment with him I expressed my disappointment.

"People 4 and under don't sit down and say, 'Wow, those are the pretties rolls I have ever seen. These are better then Costco's. You are a talented bread maker.' They just don't and I really needed to hear that."

Stewart then placed his hands on my shoulders and looked me in the eyes and told me that my rolls were very beautiful, that they were light and fluffy, and yummy. That they were the best he had ever had. He said, "Emily, you are a talented bread maker."

I said "ok" and set to work to tidy the kitchen. Then the kids came running into the kitchen, "Mommy, Mommy! Your rolls are so BudaFUll! BudaFUllll! Mommy you are a talented roll maker!"

I couldn't help but laugh. I asked them if Daddy told them to say that and they said "YESSSS!" My husband responded, "See, four year olds do say that." and gave me a sweet kiss and grabbed himself another roll. Bless his heart. I needed to hear that. :)

I tried to capture this but I am not sure if I did...these are pillows! Very soft!

So these are my "BudaFUlll" rolls that I have been making for years. They are good soft rolls. Over the years I have added more and more sugar and played with it: adding more salt, fresh milk, using less yeast...blah blah. So do as you wish with them BUT remember, add as little flour as you can and don't mix much at all! The less kneading and mixing and the less flour the more pillowy they will be! They have never failed me. They are worth the effort.

Famous Lion House Dinner Rolls

2 cups warm water (110 to 115 degrees)
2/3 cup nonfat dry milk instant or non-instant
2 TB dry yeast
(I used two fast rise yeast packets this time and they did fine - in the past they have been a little strong on the yeast taste so I liked that I couldn't taste the yeast so much this time)
1/3 cup sugar (I used 1/3 this time...next time I will do 1/2 if I want them sweeter)
2 tsp salt (my tsp were generous)
1/3 cup butter ( I melted mine)
1 egg
4 1/2 to 5 1/2 cups flour (or whatever smallest amount you use to get your dough to a point of manageability)

1.) In a large bowl of a standing mixer combine water and milk powder. Mix until milk dissolves. Add yeast, sugar, salt, butter, egg, and two cup flour mixing as you add each ingredient. Mix on low speed until all ingredients are wet and then mix on medium speed for two minutes.

2.) With mixer on low add flour half a cup at a time. Dough should be soft , not overly sticky but not dry at all! It is not necessary to add all the flour.

3.) Scrap dough off of the sides of the bowl and pour about one TB of vegetable oil all around the sides of the bowl. Turn dough over in bowl so it is covered with oil. Cover with plastic and allow to rise in a warm place until double in size.

*to speed up rising I fill sink with about 2 inches of hot water (or enough to come up 2/3 height of bowl and then I place the bowl with my dough in it and then let it rise.

4.) When dough has doubled sprinkle flour on clean counter and plop your dough out onto it. Don't knead it. Roll the dough out into a 18" by 8" rectangle. Cut it in half length wise and then cut two inch strips on both halves. Roll the dough up in little pinwheels and place them 2" apart on a greased cookie sheet. Place them so they are resting on their lose edge so they stay rolled up.

5.) Cover the rolls with plastic and let them double in size (1 to 1 1/2 hours). Bake at 375 for 10 - 20 minutes or until browned. Brush with melted butter while hot. Make 1 to 1 1/2 dozen rolls.

No comments: