Saturday, March 20, 2010

Kumquats


I used to go on a lot of walks when I was a kid. A lot. Almost everyday I would hike in the hills or trek up to the different surrounding parks. One house I would often pass had a kumquat tree. In its season it would be FULL and no one ever seemed to be eating them so I would load up my pockets and eat them as I hiked and walked. I LOVED them but I have not had them since we had to moved to the hood. :(

They are so interesting. A bitter sweet peel and then a super tart center. I would roll them between my fingers to release the oils and make the peel easy to pull off. After I had eaten and peeled off the peeling I'd gear up to bite into the tart fruit inside. I have a special place in my heart for fun tart foods and kumquats are both. Someday try one to be adventurous. I found some at the store the other day and they have been my special little treat since. They take me back to my childhood hiking in the hills and exploring nature. Heaven.

No comments: