Thursday, September 17, 2009

Autumn Treasure: Banna Cake with Caramel Frosting

This cake killed me! I eat so much of it and loved every single bite a little too much. I think I gained three pounds in the days of cake gorging. But it was worth it. The super moist banana/cinnamon cake with the rich butterscotchy frosting was a match made in heaven!


Banana Cake/Bread

1 cup oil

3 eggs

2 1/2 cups sugar

2 cups mashed bananas or finely shredded zucchini

(bananas best when they are yellow and brown spotted on the peels)

1/4 tsp. baking powder

1 tsp. salt

3 tsp. cinnamon (I always wimp out and just do 2 tsp.)

1 tsp. baking soda

3 cups flour

Nuts (optional)

Directions

Mix all ingredients together. Blend well. Pour into greased and floured bread pans.

For Bread:

Large loaf pans: Bake 350 degrees for 45 minutes to 1 hour

Mini loaves (Kirsten's fav): Bake at 300-305 degrees for 50 minutes or so.

For Cake:

* What I did when I made the cake was make a doesn't cupcakes and then poured the rest in a greased bunt pan and cooked at 315 degrees until knife came out clean



Caramel Frosting

1/4 cup Butter (salted)

1/2 cup Brown Sugar

2TB Milk

3/4 cup Powdered Sugar

In a medium sauce pan melt butter. Stir in brown sugar. Bring to a full boil. cook 2 minutes stirring constantly. Pour in milk and stir until full boil is resumed. Remove from heat and cool slightly. Add powdered sugar and beat until smooth. double recipe for a 9x13 pan.

*for my bunt cake I didn't cool sugar mixture at all and then I added enough milk to be just slightly runny and poured it over bunt letting it drip down nicely. Then I frosted the cupcakes with the rest.


No comments: