Thursday, September 17, 2009

Pecan Pie Cookies

We had our ward party the other night and I was asked to bring desserts. So I made these to play off the slight hints of autumn in the air along with the peanut butter bars I knew would be hits (recipe below). I really liked these pretty cookies but I didn't get any rave reviews about them. But I think they are a great fall cookie. I couldn't figure out why people weren't that into them and then I realized that after you had eaten a super rich peanut butter bar these seemed lacking in sweetness. Plus at our little gathering they were mostly kids and you know kids...obvious nuts are scary. And women are so annoying...diets! I think next time I make them I will add a little butter to the filling mixture just to amp the butterscotch flavor. I'm a fan.

Pecan Pie Cookies
Adapted from Land O' Lakes Butter

Ingredients

Cookie Ingredients:

1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
3/4 butter, softened

1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla *I did a TB
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder


Filling Ingredients:


1 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup whipping cream
1 teaspoon vanilla


Directions
Heat oven to 350°F. Combine all cookie ingredients except flour and baking powder in large bowl.Beat at medium speed until creamy.Reduce speed to low; add flour and baking powder. Beat until well mixed.Shape dough into 1 1/4-inch balls. Place 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets.Make indentation in each cookie with thumb; rotate thumb to hollow out slightly.Combine all filling ingredients n small bowl; fill each cookie with 1 rounded teaspoon filling.Bake for 8 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool 1 minute; remove from cookie sheets.

Recipe Tip
These cookies can be made ahead and stored in the freezer up to 3 months. Place cookies in containers with tight-fitting lids, separating layers with waxed paper.

No comments: